Marketing, especially digital marketing, is ever-evolving. It may seem like as soon as you have implemented a new idea, something has changed in the industry, with your customer base, or within your business, and you are modifying your strategy to adapt. The factors that can drive these transitions are fascinating, but it’s a challenge to stay on top of this constantly developing landscape!
So, what are some ways to keep up with changing marketing trends?
1. Read! Blogs are great because they tend to be current in nature, but books are valuable, too. I think HubSpot’s marketing blog is great, and I subscribe to their list so I get their posts sent right to my inbox. Here is another blog that I hope you find helpful! (Nudge, nudge.) Books are a great resource, too. I love the fact that I can hold a book, make notes in the margins, underline what speaks to me…I’m a book girl, for sure. Here is a list of great marketing reads compiled by Inc. Podcasts that are another great way to stay on top of industry trends and changes.
2. Watch your competition. As I have discussed before, you can learn a lot from what your competition is doing, not only from a product or service perspective, but also from how they manage their marketing. You may see something that your company could put into practice, or maybe you’ll observe an approach that doesn’t seem to be working, but could be successful with some modifications. Either way, it’s worth it to follow your competitors.
3. Follow brands you admire. In the same way you can learn from your competition, you can learn so much from brands that are doing a great job with their marketing. I asked our team which brands they follow because of their marketing, even if they don’t necessarily use the product or service. Some names that came up were Uber and Duluth Trading Company. I remember my sister collecting Absolut print ads in high school. She wasn’t using the product (really!) but admired the brand enough to search for and keep the newest versions of the ongoing campaign. (I think she even had a book of them!)
4. Network. Talk with others in your industry, or even outside of it about what they are doing with their marketing. Conferences, seminars and “after 5” networking events are a great way to meet and interact with others who likely have the same kinds of questions and challenges that you do.
5. Talk to your customers. The better understanding you have of how your customers are using your product or service, the more effectively you can tailor your marketing efforts to meet their needs.
Remember, no matter what kind of marketing strategies you are using, it is important to test, track activity, and analyze your results to ensure that you understand what is working and what is not. If your marketing approach is not resonating with your customer base, it doesn’t matter how “on trend” it is- you won’t see the results you are seeking.
How do you keep up with marketing trends? Share your thoughts in the comments!